To simplify and enhance the user experience for all patrons, Libby will become the primary app for accessing digital content through OverDrive. As part of this change, the OverDrive app is being removed from the Apple App Store, Google Play, and Microsoft Store on February 23, 2022. New users who search for “Libby,” “OverDrive,” or other related keywords in the app stores will find only Libby.
At this time, existing OverDrive app users won’t be affected by this change. They can continue borrowing and downloading content in the OverDrive app. All users will continue to have access to our library's OverDrive website.
What is the difference between OverDrive and Libby?
OverDrive is the name of the company that provides your library with a digital reading platform. With the OverDrive service, patrons have access to enjoy eBooks, eAudiobooks, and eMagazines. The following are the options available for you to access and enjoy your library’s digital collection:
- Libby mobile app: Available on Android and iOS devices, this is the newer app from OverDrive. Users can search for your library in Libby and get started today.
- Libby browser experience: Users can enjoy many of the same features of the Libby mobile app in a web browser at libbyapp.com. This is useful for those who would like to read Libby content on their Kindle Fire devices.
- OverDrive website: Your library’s OverDrive website (ntrls.overdrive.com) is best enjoyed on a desktop or laptop computer. It has a different look and feel than Libby.
- OverDrive app: The OverDrive app is a legacy app for Android, iOS, Windows 8/10, and a desktop version for Windows and Mac for audiobooks only. OverDrive is starting to wind down usage of this legacy software and focus on Libby.
What features does Libby have that the OverDrive app does not?
- A unified bookshelf for all loans and holds
- Support for multiple library cards
- Direct user support from OverDrive
- Push notifications for ready holds, new magazine issues, and more
- Same look and feel on both Android and iOS devices
- Ability to export notes and highlights
- Tags to track favorite reads, wish lists, and more
- Compatibility with Apple CarPlay (Note: Android Auto is supported in both apps.)
How do I get started in Libby?
Getting started with Libby is quick and easy! Once you have the app downloaded from the Apple App Store or Google Play, the short video below will walk you through the basics of setting up your account.
Is Libby be available on Kindle Fire?
Libby is not currently available to download from the Amazon Appstore. OverDrive has requested information and a timeline for approval from Amazon but has not yet received an update. In the meantime, Kindle Fire users can stream ebooks, audiobooks, and magazines in their browser from libbyapp.com or your our OverDrive website.
Users can also deliver Kindle Books to a Fire tablet from a device that supports Libby or from libbyapp.com
Can users sync their OverDrive wish lists to Libby?
Yes! Libby will prompt you to sync your OverDrive wish lists using an in-app notification. Learn more here.
We hope this helps you feel comfortable and confident about the upcoming changes. As always, if you have any questions or concerns please reach out to us at 817-427-6814, and we'll be happy to assist you.